Faculty of Materials Science and Engineering
The traditions of metallurgical education in Romania are old, having their origin in the development of ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy on the territory of our country. Thus, after the appearance of the first metallurgical industrial units in Banat, in the 18th century, on January 23, 1729, the school of Mines and Ferrous Metallurgy from Oravita was founded, then transferred, after 60 years, to Resita, where in 1771 put into operation the new plant with 2 large blast furnaces for that time and 3 iron grout workshops: one for tool iron and another for polishing.
The first notions of metallurgy are introduced by Gheorghe Asachi in 1813 in the engineering courses at the Greek school in Iasi. In a study from 1842, carried out by a commission of which Gheorghe Asachi was a member, it was proposed to introduce a course in Metallurgy in the third year at the section of Operating Engineers.
In 1867, the school of Bridges, Roads and Mines was re-established by decree for a period of 5 years. in the fourth year there were two sections:
– Bridges and roads;
– Mine, which also included Metallurgy courses.
These courses included not only strict knowledge of metallurgy but also a broader knowledge of the field of secondary processing and the use of metals and alloys. Over time, the course was called “Metal Technology,” a name that has survived to the present day.